The MadMen Dress Challenge

A while ago I entered a challenge to make a MadMen dress using New Look 6968. See the challenge details here. I needed a dress to wear to my husband’s after-holidays party anyway. So I bought some brown wool blend fabric that has a subtle turquoise plaid. And a lovely charmeuse with brown, turquoise, and purple to use as a lining. I chose the neck-tie view with sleeves.
The challenge required me to make a muslin, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen. I did, however, do a tissue-fitting. It looks like this: (and yes I did a fair amount of cropping for modesty’s sake)

Fitting New Look 6968

The tissue fitting informed me that 1. the bodice piece comes properly to the middle, so I had the right size and was facing few alterations in that area. Yay! 2. However, the bust darts were too low. Most patterns are made for a B-cup but I’m smaller. So I moved the bust darts up about an inch. The bodice was also quite short but I decided to leave the length as is, because it seemed a 1950s detail, and I am petite after all. So far so good.
Fast-forward, and the pieces are now cut out and ready to sew. I must say I love the lining fabric and might be tempted to wear the dress inside out!

Advertisements

One thought on “The MadMen Dress Challenge

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s